Wolf Pride Lax

2015 Varsity vs Oak Mountain 030115 1315

March 1, 2015

Down 9-4 in the fourth quarter the St. Paul’s Wolves mounted a furious comeback attempt but fell late to the Oak Mountain Eagles 10-9 at Catholic High in Baton Rouge on Sunday.

Sophomore attackman Ryan Flood led the Wolves with three goals and one assist.

It took the Wolves just sixteen seconds to score the first goal on Eli Crosby‘s bounce shot from the right wing. Oak Mountain followed with a blast from the top of the box to tie the game at one. JP Juge regained the lead for the Wolves when he dodged around the crease from X and used a trio of face dodges to get a shot past the Eagle goalie. The Eagles scored twice to take a 3-2 lead on two blasts from the midfield. Dylan Futrell tied the game at 3 apiece taking advantage of a quick restart after an Eagle offsides turnover.

The Eagles switched their defensive scheme in the second quarter to slow down the Wolves’ offensive attack. The ploy worked as St. Paul’s was held scoreless in the period. Meanwhile the Eagles used a 10-2 ground ball advantage in the quarter to build a 6-3 halftime lead.

The third period ended with Oak Mountain leading 9-4. The lone Wolves goal came from Flood’s open net goal when the Wolves ride caused a turnover with the goalie out of the crease. Oak Mountain scored one goal from point blank range and another with a 2 man up advantage due to two slashing penalties against the Wolves.

Entering the fourth quarter down 9-4 the Wolves could have given up. But there was no quit in this team. Encouraged by the coaches to be more physical on defense the Wolves went to work, earning a 9-2 ground ball advantage and forcing four turnovers.

One of the turnovers resulted in a fast break goal from Lane Sumrall to cut the Eagle lead to 9-5. Flood assisted on the goal. With 9:16 left in the game, Connor Lu, working from the top of the box, posted up his defender and spun around with a quick release shot to make the score 9-6. Later in the quarter Lu fired a skip pass to Flood on the wing. Flood buried the shot to cut the lead to 9-7. On the ensuing faceoff, St. Paul’s LSM David Cressy picked up a loose ball and wiggled past two Eagle defenders on his way towards the Oak Mountain goal. Cressy recognized that the defensive slide had left Juge all alone on the Eagle front porch. Cressy’s pass was perfect and put Juge one on one with the Eagle goalie. Juge’s dunk brought the Wolves within one goal with 4:08 left to play. On the ensuing possession, St. Paul’s had a couple of chances but could not get a shot on goal. With under three minutes to play the Eagles got an insurance goal to go up by two. The Wolves pulled within one again on a man up goal by Flood with an assist by Lu with 1:38 to play. The Wolves frantically worked to tie the game and were able to get one shot off but could not convert and were penalized for slashing with 30 seconds in the game. The Wolves man down defense was able to force a loose ball but could not gain possession as time ran out.

The loss drops the Wolves to 8-2 on the season. St. Paul’s will travel to face Christian Brothers and Houston in Memphis on March 7-8. The win improves the Eagles to 3-1 on the season.