Wolf Pride Lax

Wolves Defeat Bears 9-5

Nolan vs Catholic615

February 24, 2016

After falling behind 3-0 early to the Catholic Bears, the St. Paul’s Wolves scored six consecutive goals en route to a 9-5 non-district win on Wednesday night in Baton Rouge.

Junior attackman Ryan Flood led the Wolves with five goals.

The Bears came out of the gate swinging. A goal by Clayton Rives followed by a fast break goal from Taylor Fontenot on the ensuing faceoff put the Bears up 2-0 and forced St. Paul’s to call a timeout to regroup. But the Bears were not done. Holden David extended the lead to 3-0 when a St. Paul’s defender got out of position on a loose ball leaving David one on one with Wolves’ goalkeeper Liam Ordoyne. With twenty-one seconds remaining in the first quarter, St. Paul’s midfielder Eli Crosby broke the ice with an unassisted goal to start a run for the Wolves.

The Wolves got two goals in the second quarter to tie the game. The first, by Ryan Flood, came against the Bear’s man down defense and cut the lead to 3-2. Flood was assisted by Eli Crosby. Late in the quarter Parker Hagood scored on a fast break opportunity. Hagood received a pass at the point and looked to draw a defensive slide. The slide never came and Hagood made them pay by stepping into a shot that zipped past Bear goalkeeper Beau Abadie. The Wolves’ defense forced five turnovers to keep the Bears off  the board in the quarter. Kevin Katich forced two turnovers while Silas Anthony, Matt Gallagher, and Jake Vencil each forced one turnover.

St. Paul’s took the lead at 9:23 in the third quarter. After a Bear’s turnover on their offensive end, Crosby started the clear and went coast to coast for his second goal of the game. Another man up goal by Ryan Flood extended the Wolves’ lead to 5-3 at 2:33 in the third quarter. Dylan Futrell assisted on Flood’s goal.

Flood opened the fourth quarter with another goal after rebounding a shot that had ricocheted off the Bear’s goal. The Bears answered with a goal on a dodge from the right wing and then Flood returned the favor with a wing dodge and score of his own. The goal of the game came next. The Wolves forced a turnover on their defensive end. Kenneth Avanzino gained possession and raced upfield. Just inside the box Avanzino passed to Silas Anthony on his left. Anthony cradled once and fired a pass to Flood who was streaking down the alley on his right. Flood beat Abadie for his fifth goal and gave St. Paul’s an 8-4 lead with just under four minutes remaining in the game. The Bear’s last goal came with :54 remaining when a St. Paul’s defender picked up a loose ball just off the Wolves’ crease. A check from a Bear’s attackman resulted in the ball bouncing into the Wolves’ goal. Wolves midfielder Robert Baricev closed out the scoring with :28 left when he scooped up a loose ball and scored. Robert Ellis forced two Bears’ turnovers and Zach Nunez forced one turnover in the quarter.

The win gives St. Paul’s a 2-1 overall record. The loss drops Catholic to 4-6. St. Paul’s returns to action on Sat Feb. 27th at Dutchtown. Faceoff is scheduled for 11am at Dutchtown Middle School. Catholic will look to rebound when they host Lafayette on Friday night at 7pm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *